Board Reports and Strategy
With diverse backgrounds and experience, meet the passionate group that form the Travel Drumheller Staff and Board of Directors on our About page. If you wish to become a director of Travel Drumheller please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The board meets monthly and here you will see the board packages from those meetings as well as the annual marketing plan produced.
In 2022, the Board approved a three year Strategic Plan for the organization. There was an update on progress made on the plan at the 2023 AGM in April.
The purpose of this project is to develop a Destination Development Plan that will guide the sustainable development and management of tourism in Drumheller and area over the next two decades.
Specifically, the plan will:
- Solidify a destination development vision for Drumheller and area.
- Ensure guiding principles that direct the vision are aligned with existing/desired values. Capture, understand, and address the most pressing challenges and opportunities to achieve the vision
- Identify objectives and prioritize initiatives for further development.
- Detail and organize initiatives to develop tourism in Drumheller and area successfully. Put forward an action plan with specific tactics, including responsibilities, timelines, and monitoring/evaluation procedures.
As we emerge from the global pandemic, this is a critical time for tourism in the Drumheller region. We want to work with you to ensure tourism development happens in a way that supports businesses and residents.
Business Impact Survey
Local businesses are generally optimistic about the future and non-tourism businesses are strongly supportive of the tourism industry. These are two key findings from a recent business survey funded by Community Futures Big Country and completed in partnership with Drumheller & District Chamber of Commerce, the Town of Drumheller Economic Development Department and Travel Drumheller.
In April 2022 Community Futures Big Country released the Drumheller and Region Business Survey and Analysis Report. From January to March 2022 a survey campaign was undertaken by the project partners, resulting in significant outreach to local business owners. The survey collected responses from local businesses in the Drumheller region (including Starland Country). In total, 113 businesses provided their perspective on topics including workforce satisfaction, current business status, their future outlook, the impact of tourism, and familiarity with project partners. Key themes identified in the report include:
- Local businesses are generally optimistic about the future;
- While employers are, overall, happy with their current staff, they view the broader labour pool as a weakness;
- Many businesses in the community are seasonal in nature, relying on strong summer months to sustain their operations through lesser winter seasons;
- Benefits to doing business in the area include the “people” and its small-town appeal;
- Drawbacks to operating a business in the Drumheller region include the lack of population growth and high operating costs;
- The strong tourism sector and geographic location were seen as both strengths and drawbacks to running a local business.